Residents, businesses and developers interested in development of their property, or property improvements that may impact property lines and/or City Code must complete the necessary zoning permits from the City of North St. Paul.
Apply for a Zoning Permit
Applying for a zoning permit from the City of North St. Paul is easy and secure.
- Create a user account on our Citizen Services Platform
- Complete the appropriate license for your project.
- Easily upload your site plans and other required information.
- City staff will review your application and let you know if any other information is needed.
- Several zoning permits require approval by the Planning Commission. City staff will keep you informed of meeting dates throughout your project.
Online Payment and Documents
- Once approved, you will receive a link via email to pay for your license fees online with a credit card or e-check (processing charges apply)
- If you prefer, you can mail your payment to the City of North St. Paul at 2400 Margaret St. North St. Paul, MN 55109. Be sure to reference your license document number
- Once your payment is processed, you will receive an email with access to your digital permit.
- All of your applications, receipts and license documents will be stored in your personal portal for your easy access.
Zoning Permits Issued by the City of North St. Paul
A conditional use permit is a permitted use that is allowed only when it is shown that the use meets certain guidelines and specific standards related to the proposed conditional use. Conditions may be applied to the issuance of the permit and/or periodic review may be required. The permit shall be granted for a particular use and not for a particular person or firm.
Design permitting is the process which provides for the review and development design, alterations and improvements throughout the various neighborhoods and districts. The goal of this review is to promote functional, safe, innovative and attractive development which enhances and retains the character of our community.
A home occupation permit is for a business or enterprise conducted in a dwelling or accessory dwelling and incidental to the principle residential use whether conducted for profit or not for profit. The City regulates home occupations to ensure the character of our residentials are maintained.
An interim land use permit may be granted for the temporary use of property if certain requirements are met. The permit may be issued with a particular date, until the occurrence of a particular event, or until zoning regulations no longer permit it. Conditions may be applied to the issuance of the permit and/or periodic review may be required. The permit shall be granted for a particular use and not for a particular person or firm.
A lot upon which a two-family dwelling exists or is to be constructed, may be split along the party wall to allow for individual ownership of each unit. The newly created lots shall be in compliance with the minimum lot width, depth, and area requirements of the zoning code.
Signs in the City should be kept within reasonable boundaries consistent with the objectives and goals of the community to retain its special character and economic advantages. A zoning sign permit ensure the quality of the sign's appearance and it's compliance with the City's current zoning ordinances.