Information for Residents
Property owners doing work on their own property may apply for building permits without the need for a contractor’s license unless the project involves gas lines. Any work with gas lines requires a City of North St. Paul Mechanical license and certificate of insurance.
Do I Need a Permit?
Most home building and remodeling projects require a permit through the City before starting construction; some projects are exempt including:
- Replacing a faucet, sink or toilet
- Retaining walls less than four feet in height
- Painting, flooring, cabinets, countertops or similar work
- Swings and/or playground equipment
Questions on permits? Contact City Hall. We’re here to help.
Does Your Home Building or Remodeling Project Require a Permit?
Most remodeling/building projects such as a decks, new homes, basement finish/remodel and other common home improvement projects require a building permit and sometimes a zoning permit which must also be submitted to the city for a plan review. All permitted projects must be inspected when completed.
Projects that require a permit include:
All accessory buildings or shed projects require a zoning permit. Buildings or sheds larger than 200 square feet also require a building permit.
- All deck projects require a zoning permit. Decks higher than 30 inches above grade or attached to the home also require a building permit.
- Gas or wood fireplace (mechanical permit)
- All fence projects require a zoning permit.
- Replacement water heaters, furnaces, and AC (mechanical permit)
- Replacing windows, siding and roofing (building permit)
- Driveways, new or expanded (zoning permit)
- Any interior remodels that involve demolishing, opening up walls, or moving or building walls (building permit)
- Insulation (building permit)
- Swimming pools that are in-ground (building permit and zoning permit for fencing)
Permit Application Process
To obtain a permit, you must submit a permit application. Please include the required free and all necessary materials and information.
- Please allow 10-business days if a city plan review is needed
- Once your permit is approved, construction must be underway within 180 days or a new permit will be required.
- Upon finishing the work, please make sure to contact the City so an inspection can be conducted.
- A minimum notice of 24 hours is required for all inspections.